some ideas to gnu as

Hi everybody,

I subscribed to this list because I want to be happy user of gnu as but there is a few issues which stops me to replace my current assembler with gnu as so I'm interested in developer's comment on this:

1. Local labels. I don't know where comes the idea of gnu as' local labels from but it's something totally different I'm using everyday. Local labels in every assembler I use for my platform (m68k) have this meaning:

global_label1: nop
nop
.local_label: nop
nop
global_label2: nop
nop
.local_label: nop
nop
:
etc. You see the idea -- I can use dotted prefix in every local label, it's not explicitly exported much like gnu as L-labels but I can reuse the name in every new block! It's extremely handy when you have let's say 20 subroutines in one asm file and every of that routines has some simple loop -- so instead of creating labels like routine1_loop I use just ".loop" everywhere. Quite handy, isn't it?

2. "|" comments. I know, there's --bitwise-or option but in this case "#" has to be used as comment (I don't count /* */ because it's quite unpractical for one line comments and "//" doesn't work) and this is very confusing with using of "#" for immediate constants... Is there any reason why ";" and "*" symbols aren't used for this? (at least for this platform where it's really standard?)

I'm sorry if I'm asking for something already discussed, I'd be happy to read something about this. And if it wasn't discussed, I'd like to know what do you think about this features...

Best regards,
Miro Kropacek

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes