Re: some ideas to gnu as

Hi Miro,

Hoho, so I certainly didn't understand it well then! So only difference is I don't use named labels (which is pity but not that unusable at all) but 1..9 instead?

Actually any positive integer will work, not just 1..9.

As I see it, it's much error-prone than that named labels, esp. in some more complicated constructions with 6-7 local labels...

True, although GAS's implementation does have the advantage that you can make forward references to local labels as well as backwards references. So that for example:

    foo 1f
1:                 ; <--- first local label
    bar 1b
    baz 1f
1:                ; <--- second local label

Here both foo and bar refer to the first local label and baz refers to the second local label. As I understand it from your description of the local labels that you are used to, you cannot make forward references, correct ?

but in principle, do you have something against "my" version of local labels?

In principle no, although stylistically yes. Gas has always treated the period character (.), when it appears as the first character in a symbol, as indicating the start of a pseudo-operator. (eg .global, .word, .text etc). So it would be very confusing if a dot prefix were used also to introduce a local label. Maybe if you introduced a new pseudo-operator, eg ".local", and used that instead it would be better. ie:

  .local loop
     foo
     foo
     b loop