Re: some ideas to gnu as

Hello Nick,

> Actually any positive integer will work, not just 1..9.

Ah, thanks for the tip.

> Here both foo and bar refer to the first local label and baz refers to the second local label.  As I understand it from your description of the local labels that you are used to, you cannot make forward references, correct ?

Correct. As I replied to Andreas, it has it advantages (better
structured code, less error-prone) and disadvantages (not so
flexible).

> In principle no, although stylistically yes.  Gas has always treated the period character (.), when it appears as the first character in a symbol, as indicating the start of a pseudo-operator.  (eg .global, .word, .text etc).  So it would be very confusing if a dot prefix were

oh no, don't take this dotted syntax as hard rule! For example, on
Motorola DSP, there's "_" as local label prefix and we could live with
any other character as well.

> used also to introduce a local label.  Maybe if you introduced a new pseudo-operator, eg ".local", and used that instead it would be better.  ie:

I think this would be a little bit unpractical (very boring to type
again and again), I find some character prefix as much easier.

Regards,
Miro Kropacek

--
MiKRO / Mystic Bytes