Re: Performance of ld on GFS (Global File System)

"Harald Anlauf" <anlauf@gmx.de> writes:

>> The newer gold linker tries pretty hard to minimize system calls.  It
>> does expect to be able to mmap the input files for read access.
>
> I downloaded and compiled the latest snapshot of binutils:
>
> GNU gold (GNU Binutils 2.19.50.20080929) 1.7
>
> However, linking unfortunately failed, because the (Fortran) program
> I work on needs OpenMPI which uses COMMON blocks:
>
> ./gold: lib/libbasic.a(mo_mpi.o): multiple definition of mpi_fortran_in_place_
> ./gold: lib/librttov7.a(RTTOV7_MPI.o): previous definition here
> [...more similar messages deleted...]
> ./gold: mpi_fortran_in_place_: unsupported symbol section 0xff02
> [...more similar messages deleted...]
>
> At least these messages were emitted quickly... ;-)
>
> Are there any chances that COMMON blocks will be supported?

I'm not aware of any bugs in common support, so this is something new.
The section index 0xff02 is in the range reserved for processor
specific codes.  The code for a common symbol is 0xfff2.  Can you give
more details about your platform and compiler?

Ian