Re: Performance of ld on GFS (Global File System)

Ian,

I have now reduced the problem to the following.  Consider the Fortran program:

program test
  implicit none

  integer MPI_BOTTOM
  common/mpi_fortran_bottom/MPI_BOTTOM

  print *, MPI_BOTTOM
end program test

When compiling with sunf95 and with default flags, I can successfully link with gold.
Default flags imply a 'small memory model', i.e. -xmodel=small.
Compiling with "sunf95 -xmodel=medium", I get the error.

See
http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/819-5263/aevkd?a=view
for an explanation of these options.

I shall attach the different assembler files for the above main program.
The Sun compiler uses the assembler "fbe" by default.  I do not know
whether (and how) it is possible to use the GNU as instead.

The differences between both assembler versions are very small.

I hope this does give more insight.

Cheers,
Harald