submitting a new port

hello!

we would like to submit a port of binutils to the NEC SX vector CPU
architecture for inclusion in the binutils CVS. apart from standard
stuff (as, ld, binutils), the port also introduces a new COFF flavour as
used on Super-UX on NEC SX machines.

the port (based on binutils 2.18) is fairly complete and working (tested
while porting gcc as well as with native SX compiler). I'm currently in
the process of merging it to latest binutils CVS HEAD and taking care of
"unbreaking" other COFF targets.

I have a few questions about merge of the port in mainline binutils:
- when would be an appropriate time to merge the port (not to interfere
with binutils release cycle)?
- how do I go about submitting? one patch or multiple
(per-functionality, per-component)? what about generated files that are
included in CVS (configures, Makefile.ins etc.) - should patches include
those or will someone else regenerate them?
- other things that need taking care of, but I don't know about them ...

and finally, a bit unrelated, as I would like to make a tarball of my
2.18 port - how do I do an equivalent of "make dist" in binutils?

thanks!

regards,
  jaKa

--