Re: linker error

Alan Modra pÃÅe v St 29. 10. 2008 v 23:41 +0100:
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:59:51PM +0100, Dominik TÃborskà wrote:
> > I'm trying to build bash for i586, so I have built glibc for i586
> > already and am trying to link bash with these libraries, in /lib/i586.
>
> It is quite difficult to use two or more different versions of glibc
> on a system.  There are two problems to solve:
> a) At compile time, ensure you use the new include files when
>    compiling apps that should use the new libc.  Also make sure that
>    you link against the new ld.so and libc.so.
> b) At run time, use the correct ld.so and libc.so.  The basic problem
>    is that ld.so and libc.so share data structures.  So if at run time
>    you happen to use the old ld.so with the new libc.so, or vice
>    versa, you are likely to get segfaults.  Your existing system
>    binaries and libraries may or may not work with the new
>    ld.so/libc.so.  If they don't you have a new level of pain.
>
> Attached is a script I developed some time ago to solve this for
> powerpc.  It may need updating..

Yes, You were right. My system is using glibc-2.7, from Ubuntu repo. But
I was tring to link against glibc-2.8, compiled from source, not
installed. I realized this about an hour later. Sad is, since I'm gonna
upgrade to new Ubuntu today, which will be using new glibc-2.8, I'm
gonna have to recompile everything I have successfully linked yesterday.
I am probably too tired and should go visit the the outer world
sometime... :-D
Atl least I learned a lesson! Thank You!

Dominik Taborsky