Re: COMMITTED: Add support for STT_IFUNC

Hi Cary,

  I am applying the patch below to add support for a new ELF symbol
  type.  It is currently under review by the ELF committee and I am
  reliably informed that it will be added to the official
  specification fairly soon now.

What is meant by "the ELF committee" and "the official specification" in
this regard?  I see nothing recent at

A good question. I do not have a simple answer. I was told by Ulrich Drepper - the glibc maintainer - that this feature was being reviewed by a subgroup of the "ELF stakeholders" and that they were in favour of it. (The word "committee" was a mistake in my original posting. I should have used "stakeholders"). But exactly who these stakeholders may be I do not know and what authority they may have is unknown to me. Still I am willing to believe that they exist and that they have the best interests of the ELF standard at heart.

Cheers
  Nick