RE: Unknown section identifier in ObjDump output

Hi Daniel

> > This may be obvious, but I can not find any reference to this on
> Google.
> >
> > I have copied output from ObjDump, pertaining to the symbol table. It
> > contains an entry who's section is '*COM*'.
>
> It means you're looking at a common symbol.  This is somewhat related
> to the concept of Fortran common blocks; they're also used by some
> tools for uninitialized globals.  For the purposes of relocation it's
> much like being in .bss.

Many thanks for confirming what I thought, and dreaded... There was no
section called 'common' or 'com' or anything else for that matter, just the
normal '.code', '.data' etc etc.

I presume this means I need to either :

1. establish the size of the *com* section from entry addresses and sizes,
or

2. somehow force all such entries into the .bss section...

Cheers

Gary