Re: supporting deterministic 'ar'

Hi Chris,

new flag 'D' to ar, which invokes deterministic mode.  In this mode,
timestamp of all incorporated archives is set to 0, as are uid/gid.

A great idea!

* Am I totally crazy to want to do this?

Nope.

* is there a better way to get LONG_MAX in archive.c?

#include <limits.h>

* is this appropriate for a BFD flag, or a bit in the bitfield?  (it
seem closer to being a flag...)

Well the bit-field/flag thing you already have seems fine to me.

* any preference about flag name?

Well I did think that "deterministic" was slightly off, because it implies that non-deterministic archives are random somehow, but I could not come up with a better suggestion. So lets keep it as deterministic.

Cheers
  Nick