Re: gold patch committed: Skip incompatible objects

On Mon, 16 Mar 2009, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> writes:

...                          The only time that an incorrect -L option
would be a problem in this way would be if you have multiple libraries
with the same name, and you are picking up the wrong one because a -L
option was missed.  That does not seem like a common case to me.

Or I don't pick up either and it fails to link.

But the linker already gives an error if it can't find any library to match a -l option.

Clearly helpful, but it doesn't say where said library was supposed to be. If one is drowning in a sea of libraries and directories one doesn't understand, the answer isn't necessarily obvious. Even if it should be, a clear statement that a directory is missing could reduce the workload of an already over-stressed brain. Automatic tools are better than grunge work.

I wouldn't object to optionally warning about missing -L directories,
but I don't think it should be the default behaviour, and I doubt I will
bother to write such a patch myself.

Perhaps it could be implied by --verbose.

Sure, or --trace, I suppose.

Preferably and --trace. Someone floundering is more likely to think of --verbose.

--
Michael   hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Pessimist: The glass is half empty.