Re: [RFA:] In bfd_assert at the end, call _exit (EXIT_FAILURE)

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 03:50:17PM +0100, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> I can't find the posting where Nick asked for patches after
> finding consensus that bfd_assert should exit rather than
> continue (causing incorrect files to be written and the point of
> failure only noticeable by inspecting build logs), but here's
> the simple approach I took.  No regressions for cris-elf.
>
> Ok to commit?

My only concern about this is BFD's policy of behaving like a library
- which involves not quitting behind the program's back.  Should we
put this in gas and ld, instead?

I know GDB has triggered BFD errors in the past, and it'd be
disconcerting for them to make it quit.

My position on this is pretty weak.  I'd even be OK with the other
extreme: drop core here.  There's already a few calls to abort.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery