Re: SVN for src, status?

On Tue, 12 May 2009, Segher Boessenkool wrote:

> harder though.  So my vote is to move to either SVN or git ASAP;
> I don't care which one.

My vote is to do nothing ASAP, but for the advocates of different schemes
to work out detailed designs for the various options for single repository
and full checkouts (changes to how you configure to build only a subset of
components) / single repository and partial checkouts (possible with SVN,
not with git) / multiple repositories and automatic merging of shared
files between them and once there are detailed designs produce trial
conversions (likely several trial conversions over the course of a few
months) of the repository and all associated scripts run on commit etc.
for people to play with.  Trial conversions might just be for a single
option, or for more than one option depending on feelings about the
different options.  If Red Hat people can obtain the release of the
pre-sourceware history, then I'm sure Ian can help with including it in
the trial conversions.

Anything requiring special scripts for checkout / commit / push needs to
include those scripts in the trial conversions (and the scripts need to
cover both read-only and write-access checkouts, and switching between the
two).

I will observe we have great difficulty keeping files in sync between GCC
and src with just two repositories and shared files often spend months out
of sync after a change is applied in one place only, and suggest that any
multiple-repository scheme needs fully automatic merging of changes to
shared files so that it is made impossible (by hooks preventing commits /
pushes to the wrong place, for example) for someone accidentally to get
the master versions of the shared files out of sync.  (Of course changes
to the files on branches should be allowed without requiring them to be in
sync with some other repository, just not on the mainline of development.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com