Re: question about some terms

loody <miloody@gmail.com> writes:

> BTW, while reading ld and compare it with some sd scripts.
> I saw some sections that I have no idea what it mean.
> 1. .sbss

Small local zero-initialized global or static variables.  The definition
of "small" varies by target.  On some targets, notably MIPS targets when
not generating PIC, it can be controlled by the -G option to the
compiler and linker.

> 2. .scommon

Small common variables.

> 3. .sdata

Small initialized global or static variables.

> 4. .gptab

A MIPS specific section which holds an array of entries.  Each entry has
two values: a -G argument and the size of the small data if that -G
argument is used.  The linker can use this to pick the optimal -G value
(MIPS permits a total of 65536 bytes in the small data sections).  I
don't know whether the GNU linker actually implements this optimization.

> 5. .lib8

Did you mean .lit8?  That is section used on Alpha and MIPS to hold 8
byte literals.  The address of the literal values is unimportant, and
the linker is permitted to combine identical 8 byte literals.  This is a
size and target specific implementation of the idea that ELF later
generalized into SHF_MERGE sections.  .lit8 was introduced in ECOFF.  It
is mostly used to hold floating point constants.

> 6. .lit4

Like .lit8, but for 4 byte literals.  This one is not used very much.

> 7. .reginfo

Used to describe which registers are used by functions in the file.
This is mainly for some MIPS optimization tools which were written at
SGI.  The GNU tools generate it but I don't think they use it for
anything.

> Does there any document provide the whole list and purpose of them?
> appreciate your kind help,

Try the MIPS ELF ABI.

Ian