Re: configure munges $ORIGIN in LDFLAGS (SOLVED)

Poor Yorick wrote:

>>  >> Apparently, the top Makefile needs to requote arguments before invoking
>>  >> binutils/configure.
>>
>>    Either that, or it is not supported to embed shell variables into the
>>  configure arguments.
>
> This is the kicker.  $ORIGIN is not an environment variable.  It's the magic
> word for the dynamic linker that must be literally embedded in the R(UN)PATH
> sections to make the paths relative.  Getting that dollar sign to be passed
> literally through all the make and shell layers is what the fuss is about.
> Perhaps "$" was an unfortunate choice.

  Argh.  Yes, I'm not terribly familiar with the ld.so dynamic loader.

> Agreed, but relative R(UN)PATH's are really useful, and should be catered for.

  Yes, definitely so.  I wonder if we should provide some short-hand or
translation so as to make it easy to specify $ORIGIN in an rpath without
having to literally write $ORIGIN and thereby avoid all that tedious mucking
about in quoting-and-escaping-space.

    cheers,
      DaveK