Re: PATCH: support for NEC SX architecture

Hi Dave,

Dave Korn wrote:
Jaka MoÄnik wrote:
On Wed, 2009-06-03 at 15:39 +0100, Dave Korn wrote:
All of a sudden I'm uncertain whether it's suitable to include support
for a somewhat private undocumented target in FSF sources.  I don't know
if there's a policy about it but it stands out from other targets in this
regard.  Do you have any idea how many of these supercomputers there are
in use out there?
well, the sources are GPLed, implemented independently of any existing, proprietary code, and well documented. the submission has also been approved by erich (cc-ed above).

Erich, is there any chance at all NEC could be persuaded to change policy and release the CPU and ISA documentation? That would be the ideal situation.

since every customer gets the documentation and most of the programmers who request it get a quick reference guide, we didn't think this is a problem. There's no place on the docs stating "do not disclose" or "secret" (though: reproduction rights stay with the company, as usual for books). But I see the problem: nobody could just start coding SX assembler with just the info we have on the sx-gcc page. So we'll do two things: start improving the docs on the sx-gcc web page and find out about possibilities to put the official SX CPU docs somewhere onto the web. This might take a while...

Best regards,
Erich