Re: winsup build machinery

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 10:32:07PM +0200, Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
>1) toplevel src/MAINTAINERS lists the file winsup/MAINTAINERS, but that
>file does not exist.  OK to commit? (without ChangeLog entry, as is
>appropriate for toplevel MAINTAINERS)

I've made cygwin specific changes and removed an inexplicable reference
to overseers.

As the top-level MAINTAINERS file says - winsup questions go to the
cygwin list, so these questions aren't appropriate for the binutils
list.  And, since there are no patches they aren't appropriate for
the cygwin-patches list either.

I'll answer them here but please move to the cygwin list if you have
further questions.  I've reset the Reply-To accordingly.

>2) How can I get winsup to build as part of src, ideally on one of
>{x86_64,i686}-pc-linux-gnu without cross compilation or with the mingw
>cross packages available in Debian?

I build cygwin in a cross-compilation environment all of the time using
a cygwin cross compiler.  If you are having problem you need to ask
specific questions.

>3) Is winsup intended to be buildable outside of src, or always through
>toplevel?  Would it be appropriate to use e.g., macros from src/config/
>such as from override.m4 (which is extremely helpful to work around
>Autoconf bugs, smooth upgrade etc.)?  If no, how should such issues be
>handled?

No, you don't have to build winsup from the top-level.  It probably has
to be configured from the top (haven't tried it any other way) but, once
configured, as long as you build newlib first, you can build it by
cd'ing to any of the directories and it should work.

>4) The winsup makefiles don't (or don't consistently) contain rules to
>regenerate configure files.

That's true.  Personally, I've always hated having makefiles rebuild
configure files.

>The aclocal.m4 in this tree seem to have been generated by some old
>versions of aclocal,

"Old" == circa 2006.

>but at least some also seem to contain manually written contents, while
>still containing at the very top the note "generated by ...".  That's
>not good, the comment tends to confuse both me and eventual autotools
>looking at the file.  So what's the intended, great, master plan for
>winsup/ and below here?

As far as I know, no one has hand-modified aclocal.m4.  If you think
otherwise you need to provide details.

cgf