Re: [Patch] opcodes/z8k-opc.h regenerated

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 12:31:57AM +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Alan Modra <amodra@bigpond.net.au> writes:
>
> > The idea of using the address is to leave elements with the same key
> > in the order they occur in the original array.  That works with qsort
> > that sorts in place, ie. doesn't copy parts of the input array to
> > temporary storage.
>
> The standard forbids that anyway.  But it does not forbid shuffling in a
> way that the relative order of two elements changes even if that would
> make them order backwards temporarily.  If you want a stable sort you
> need to decide on the contents alone, not on the address.

 Well, I'm learning something I didn't know before.  I'm going to
 leave any further patches to this inconsequential bit of code to
 someone else..  Incidentally, your patch doesn't work either, since
 "bits" doesn't differ for the two "xorb rbd,rbs" patterns.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM