Re: m68k padding between methods at ld time

Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> writes:

> Hi Joel,
>
>> Thanks.  I do not have a tree for writing checked out at the
>> moment.  Attached is the patch.
>
> Just to be clear - why do you want NOP instructions rather than RTS
> instructions ?

In the general case, you need to have nop instructions because of
sections like .init and .fini which are built up from several object
files and in which the flow of control must go from one object file to
the next.  Alignment may introduce gaps between the sections, and the
linker must fill those gaps with nops.

Whether this ever happens on the m68k in particular I don't know.

Ian