Re: [GOLD] Heads up. Gold for mingw.

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:45:40 -0700, Viktor Kutuzov
<vkutuzov@accesssoftek.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I have started working to make gold build and work for mingw (Windows).
> There are 4 areas need to get changed:
>
> 1.	The plug-in shared libraries will be plug-in DLLs. This one is easy
and
> straight forward.
>
> 2.	Windows memory mapping doesn't fit well the used memory mapping.
Mingw
> does not support mmap/munmap. I think of extracting memory mapping to a
> separate set of classes (one multi-platform abstract base class and 2
> platform-specific implementation classes).
>
> 3.	Gathering read is not supported on Windows (unless we want to use
> overlapped I/O). I think of implementing a Windows-specific readv based
on
> a regular read for now. Later we can make it better if we will want to.
>
> 4.	Make files to add a new mingw configuration. This one is also easy
and
> straight forward.
>
> Does anybody else work on this?
> Does anybody else interesting in gold for Windows?
> Is there a better idea how to do this?
>
> Cheers,
> Viktor

Last time I asked I was answered that GOLD was very specific to elf and
when I read announcment :

"gold only supports ELF targets such as GNU/Linux and other free
operating systems.  gold does not support Windows.  There is no
expectation that gold will ever support anything other than ELF
targets."

But I like this quote from Marc Twain : They did not know it was
impossible, so they did it!