To: "Viktor Kutuzov" <vkutuzov@accesssoftek.com>
Cc: <binutils@sourceware.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 06, 2009 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [GOLD] Heads up. Gold for mingw.

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 14:45:40 -0700, Viktor Kutuzov
<vkutuzov@accesssoftek.com> wrote:
Hello everyone,

I have started working to make gold build and work for mingw (Windows).
There are 4 areas need to get changed:

1. The plug-in shared libraries will be plug-in DLLs. This one is easy
and
straight forward.

2. Windows memory mapping doesn't fit well the used memory mapping.
Mingw
does not support mmap/munmap. I think of extracting memory mapping to a
separate set of classes (one multi-platform abstract base class and 2
platform-specific implementation classes).

3. Gathering read is not supported on Windows (unless we want to use
overlapped I/O). I think of implementing a Windows-specific readv based
on
a regular read for now. Later we can make it better if we will want to.

4. Make files to add a new mingw configuration. This one is also easy
and
straight forward.

Does anybody else work on this?
Does anybody else interesting in gold for Windows?
Is there a better idea how to do this?

Cheers,
Viktor

Last time I asked I was answered that GOLD was very specific to elf and when I read announcment :

"gold only supports ELF targets such as GNU/Linux and other free
operating systems.  gold does not support Windows.  There is no
expectation that gold will ever support anything other than ELF
targets."

But I like this quote from Marc Twain : They did not know it was
impossible, so they did it!