Re: Universal Mach-O target for BFD

c. A 4-byte offset from the beginning of the file to the start of the
Mach-O header for the object file.
d. A 4-byte size of the object file, in octets.

I'd be glad to try my hand at implementing it; does anyone have any
pointers for where to get started?

Assuming that clients access only within the interval that is designated by the header information (and don't go snooping to discover what is behind the curtains), then it is enough to virtualize lseek() and mmap() in order to "relocate" the offsets into the file.