Re: gold and 2.20 release

On 13.10.2009 23:24, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:
Any opinions on how to handle gold with the binutils 2.20 release?
There have been a number of changes since the branch was created, and
I'm tempted to simply move the entire gold and elfcpp directories onto
the branch.  I assume that nobody has been doing much testing of them,
so this should have little effect on stability.

I would appreciate it. Will you update gold on the branch for 2.20.x releases as well? For which architectures is gold considered non-experimental?

As a packager, the alternative would be to package gold separately from the trunk and follow the trunk.

gold is now required for some GCC lto optimizations, so (as a packager for a distribution) I would like to ship it in an appropriate way, not getting in the way of ld, but having gold available if it's needed. Currently you can only use either the old ld or gold, there's no possibility to tell gcc which linker to use, which might introduce some regressions if you always use gold instead of ld. Is there a way to tell gcc which linker to use?

Matthias