ld: executable cannot find a versioned shared library

Hi

(ld 2.18.0.20080103, Ubuntu 8.04)

I have a c++ project in which I compile a shared library and then link an
executable against it. This used to work fine for me

so, i have a shared library, let's say "libmylib.so",, created with

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libmylib.so -o libmylib.so [other otpions]

and it is located in /home/user/project/lib/c++

then i have an executable in [project-path]/cmd/c++ (let's call it "test"),
which is linked against this library as

g++ -Wl,-rpath=/home/user/project/lib/c++ -o test -lmylib -L
/home/user/project/lib/c++ [other options]

and this all works fine, ldd shows that the executable is able to locate all
libraries and it runs as it is supposed to.

Recently, I decided to introduce version numbering to my project. So if the
version number is 1.2.3 the library linking command now is

g++ -shared -Wl,-soname,libmylib.so.1 -o libmylib.so.1.2.3 [other options]

followed by

ln -sfv libmylib.so.1.2.3 libmylib.so

creating a convenience symbolic link. this is all still in
/home/user/project/lib/c++

running the same executable linking command for the "test" executable as
above succeeds, but ldd shows that libmylib.so.1 cannot be found by the
executable.

I ran readelf on the library, and it shows that the soname field is set
correctly to libmylib.so.1. I also ran readelf on the executable and found
that rpath is set correctly to /home/user/project/lib/c++.

I really don't know what to do now. I have had my share of pain when I was
working out how the whole dynamic linking system works before, but this is
something I cannot understand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated