Re: [patch]: Discard some sections for pe and pep

On 11/21/2009 22:56, Dave Korn wrote:
Kai Tietz wrote:
Hello all,

we just were falling over the lto sections generated by gcc with lto
support. Those section can be discarded by final linkage AFAIU.

Hi Kai,

   What kind of problems were these causing?  Why does GCC generate LTO
sections on a platform that I thought doesn't support LTO because it isn't
ELF-based?

Hi,
ELF is the container for the LTO data, or so I read. The final executable doesn't have to be ELF.

This causes rather large PE executables.

Also this patch ensures, that .bss section is getting aligned to a 16
byte block, this avoids some issues with sse usage.

I don't get this. Why isn't __section_alignment__ much greater than 16 already? All the executables I build come out with sections aligned to the 4kB page size and individual elements within .bss aligned to 2**5.

ld 2.20.51.20091027 on Cygwin produces executables with .bss aligned to 2**3 according to misreading "objdump -h".