Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

> I simply cannot wrap my head around git.

I understand how you feel, since I went through the same process,
particularly since I started using it a while ago, when the user
interface was, er, rough. Fortunately, it has come a long way and
is a lot better, now.

I will not deny that learning git takes a bit of effort. But, I truly
wholeheartedly believe that the initial pain is well worth the effort,
because it's going to help save so much time later - everything is easier
and faster with git. There's just this initial hump at the beginning.

There is a great book for learning git relatively quickly, and it is
even available on the web: Pro git.  It's one of the rare books that
I read from cover to cover.

    http://progit.org/

That being said, we can help you in a way that you will not have to
learn much git. If we ever switch to git, we will provide a detailed
procedure, recipes really, on how to do with git all the usual operations
that most contributors need.

For instance, to put your changes aside, just "git stash". To reapply
them again: "git stash pop". But you'll soon learn that even that is
not easy enough, and before you know it, you'll naturally be using branches.
If you're managing a set of patches (eg for a new port, or a new feature),
you'll love "git rebase".

> If we switch to using git, I'll probably stop contributing to GDB.

We'll have ways to allow you to work comfortably, be it SVN or a git-cvs
server.

--
Joel