Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

On Sat, 2 Jan 2010, Pascal Obry wrote:

> Christopher,
>
> > I'm a real novice when it comes to git.  Does it allow "merging" two
> > separate repositories?  Could we have a separate repository containing
> > the configury and libiberty which was shared between gdb/binutils/gcc?

> One solution is to use submodule. A submodule is standard Git repository

> Another solution is to do subtree merging. Both solutions have pro and cons.

I remind people that the biggest problem we've had with the existing src
arrangements is the reliance on CVS modules, which are heavily
CVS-specific and so cause trouble in migration to other systems, as well
as not working with normal ways people use CVS (update -d).  I also remind
people that we should be allowing for different projects using different
version control systems, including some projects staying in the CVS src
repository (not everything should need to switch to different systems at
once).

Thus it seems a bad idea to rely on something heavily git-specific for
keeping shared toplevel files in sync; any merge system needs to include
diff+patch (or just cp) merging between repositories using different
version control systems.  (Apart from the general desirability that people
working on one project should be able to commit, tag, branch etc. there in
whatever ways are normally idiomatic with git, and not need to do anything
special because of some files coming from another repository in some way,
just as it's bad that people can't use "cvs update -d" at present.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com