Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

On Sun, 3 Jan 2010, Dave Korn wrote:

> > Thus it seems a bad idea to rely on something heavily git-specific for
> > keeping shared toplevel files in sync;
>
>   I'd go further.  I'd say: we're going to have to suffer some pain sooner or
> later.  Let's just do it now and get it over with, even if it means moving to

If you use a separate master toplevel.git, that could indeed be done now
[*] before any of the projects using the src repository change to non-CVS
systems.  To start with you'd need scripts to copy from it to GCC and src,
with further scripts for copying to new non-CVS repositories split out
from src being added later when those further new repositories are set up.

[*] At any time when the shared files and directories are in sync between
GCC and src; right now they aren't.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com