Re: Option -static

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010, Ian Lance Taylor wrote:

> As far as I can tell that is not how GNU ld works.  When -static is in
> effect, GNU ld will only find libNAME.a, not libNAME.so.  Can you show
> me an example which shows the behaviour you describe?

Just test the out of the box 2.20 gnu ld and you are right in that issue,
wont link if the .a is not there, I am using a custom build "2.11a"
(before gold) which doesnt seem to be bothered about this so have been
hacked? Or the ld behaviour was changed on the way to 2.20.

In any case my point was that it is nice if you you have most of the libs
in static form --static to "prefer" static objects than shared ones
instead just failing with with a fatal error.
Picture the following: we have a system that for A,B,C reason the libc is
available only in a shared form. If your executable depends from another,
say three, libs that all are exist in static form its really shame that
the ld wouldnt link the final executable. In order to succeed then an
"almost static" link you would have to hack the makefiles etc in order to
pass in the command line the exact .a long filenames cause if the .so
correspondings are present ld  would prefer them.

Regards,