Re: SPARC gold / ld support

2010/1/19 Ian Lance Taylor <iant@google.com>:

> Not that map, no, but it does accept a linker script which lets you
> lay out the sections as you please.

I guess what you are talking about is the scatter loading file? If it
is, I succeeded to modify it since I already re-arranged the sections
of my program.

Actually what I would like is tell the linker not where the sections
are, but instead to tell it where branches (and other instructions
using relative addressing) should point to, since I would like to
remove instructions in a pseudo-manually way (the famous SETHIs) and
the relative addresses are gonna change but I still want the code to
be executable.

Hmmm, am I clearer or not quite yet? (sorry, English is not my first
language :()

> I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve by modifying the linker
> map. ?If you want to keep the sections at the same address, then
> obviously your executable will not get any smaller. ?If you change the
> addresses, then you don't really need a linker map.

Keeping in mind that I'm programming for embedded applications (very
limited ressources), what I intend to do is place my sections wisely
such that I can optimize the utilization of the available quite small
memory. Removing such useless SETHIs would give me more available
space in memory to fit additional bytecodes or other stuff, or simply
reduce the size of the required memory.

Thanks again for your comments, I appreciate them very much,