Re: Linux ELF OS ABI

H.J. Lu wrote:

>> OK, then, what is the recommended method for this?  Are you saying we
>> need to maintain build machines for each distro that our various
>> clients use?  This is client driven distro support...we've tried to

For the binary modules that we distribute, we build them using a Debian
Etch system, with hand-built gcc 4.3 + binutils 2.(something), but
everything else just 'stock' Etch. This seems to work quite well, the
binaries work on every distro our customers use them on (at least those
are using glibc, anyway).

In essence, though, your conclusions are correct: it is not generally
possible to use a 'current' distribution to produce binaries that will
work properly on older distributions. This is true even for LTS-type
distros (RHEL5, Ubuntu, etc.), let alone distros like Fedora that change
rapidly. You need to make your release builds on a distro that is based
on the same 'age' system libraries and kernel as you expect your
customers to be using, and no newer.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
skype: kpfleming | jabber: kpfleming@digium.com