Re: [PING global maintainer/testsuite expert] Re: [patch bfd]: Win32 coff-i386 and coff-x86_64 broken in_reloc_p

* Kai Tietz wrote on Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 09:05:28PM CEST:
> 2010/3/31 Ralf Wildenhues:
> > wc -c is POSIX and portable, but you cannot be sure about the amount of
> > whitespace in the output: for example, IRIX, AIX, Tru64, FreeBSD,
> > OpenBSD wc produce varying amounts of leading whitespace, GNU doesn't.
> > Does tcl strip that? ?Otherwise, if all you're trying to find out is
> > whether a file is nonempty or not, testing the exit status of shell
> > 'test -s' works.

> There are no whitespaces. It is an binary file-format and no text.

I was talking about the output of
$ wc -c somefile

which can be either of
    1204 somefile
      1204 somefile
          1204 somefile
1204 somefile

not the contents of "somefile".  I haven't checked TABs vs. spaces.

> Well here in this test the generated file has size of zero bytes. So
> test -s works?

Yes, it should work, but I don't know if you can call shell commands
from the testsuite at that point.

Cheers,
Ralf