Re: [libbfd] Mach-O format support ?

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 10:49:02 +0200
Tristan Gingold <gingold@adacore.com> wrote:
>> on Mac OS X, "nm" complains as:
>>
>> $ ./nm-new /usr/lib/libwrap.a
>> ./nm-new: /usr/lib/libwrap.a:i386: File format not recognized
>> ./nm-new: /usr/lib/libwrap.a:powerpc:common: File format not recognized
>
>Yes, nm on universal archive doesn't work, because nm doesn't handle archives of archives!

Thank you for quick reply!

It seems that the "ar" of GNU binutils doesn't handle
universal binary archive directly. I guess the universal
binary archive of Mac OS X is concatenated in fat binary
format, instead of "ar" archive format. In fact, even
Apple's "ar" cannot parse the universal binary archive,
it tells to split the universal binary archive by libtool/lipo
and execute "ar" on the splitted files.

Is there GNU replacement of Apple's lipo?

Regards,
mpsuzuki