Re: ld for VMS?

On May 4, 2010, at 11:14 AM, h.becker wrote:

> Jay K wrote:
>> Tristan, why do you say transferring .obj is difficult? I maybe agree -- I can't seem to do it -- but I wonder what your experience was, to maybe fix mine.
> This applies to Alpha and VAX object files: because the record structure is lost during ftp-style transfers. A binary transfer from Linux/Unix to VMS creates a fixed record structure on VMS. That's wrong, it is a variable length record structur.

Right.

> A binary transfer from VMS to Linux/Unix transfers the data of the records not the length fields. So you have to have some pre- or postprocessing on the VMS side. And you can't avoid this with an archiver.

Except that with Alpha-VMS the length fields are duplicated within the records.  BFD is able to handle
Alpha obj files without the record length RMS field.  Things are harder with VAX obj files!

As I said, I usually transfer from VMS using ftp.  I was able to transfer to VMS using ar on unix and
librarian on vms.

Tristan.