Re: Linker script and dependency search path

On Saturday 22 May 2010 05:15:44 Ludovic CourtÃs wrote:
> Mike Frysinger writes:

> >> Thereâs a significant difference though: on GNU/Linux doesnât have
> >> anything NEEDED (except ld-linux.so).
> >
> > that isnt true ... glibc linker scripts pull in libc_nonshared.a too.
> > but even the ldso needs to be looked up & located somehow.
>
> Sorry, I wasnât clear:

> $ uname -o
> GNU/Linux
> $ objdump -x ~/.nix-profile/lib/libc.so.6 |grep NEEDED
>   NEEDED               ld-linux-x86-64.so.2

ok, in this case, your statement still isnt always true :).  many embedded
arches need libgcc_s.so.x in their libc.so due to missing math funcs in
hardware.  but yes, if you compare to a more "desktop" or "server" proc like
x86, only the ldso will typically be needed.