Re: SYMTAB and DYNSYM tables relationship question

On Saturday, July 03, 2010 03:34:02 Vladimir Simonov wrote:
> In reality all not so simple - our dos-like OS EXE requires TEXT and PLT
> sections relocation (a program works in physical address space and can't
> be loaded at desired address).

doesnt sound complicated

> Investigations show that "strip --strip-all" and even "strip
> --strip-unneeded" remove symtab and necessary relocation sections. As I
> understand EXE's "text" relocation can't be done without symtab because
> relocation entry references symtab.

erm, no, all the relocation information you should need are in the .rel.* or
.rela.* sections.  not that you should be looking up information by section
name; use the normal DT_REL* and related tags to locate them.

perhaps you should grab a copy of the ELF spec and review how a compliant ELF
is supposed to work.
-mike