Re: PATCH: Extend .zdebug section support to binutils and ld

On Thu, Jul 22, 2010 at 12:59 PM, Daniel Jacobowitz
<dan@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> That doesn't tell me anything. ?What is the right thing to do, now
> that you've made binutils do it? ?Do you have to uncompress the
> section and then apply relocations to it?
>
> If you do, there's no separate issue - don't check this in unless
> objects are marked in such a way that other tools will immediately
> reject them.

Yes, it would be an improvement to mark compressed sections with a new
section type and SHF_OS_NONCONFORMING, but the ".zdebug" mechanism is
already there right now, and it would be nice to have this patch to
make the utilities work with what the assembler is producing today.
The renaming convention was established a couple of years ago as a
cheap way of preventing unaware tools of choking on these sections --
this patch fixes a bug that was introduced then (trying to apply
relocations before decompressing), but not actually exposed until gas
started generating relocatable compressed sections.

I'm not sure I understand why this patch should be held up until we
implement a more foolproof mechanism. Adding this patch shouldn't
prevent us from pursuing the better solution, but it will improve
things in the meantime.

-cary