linker memory mapping

Hi,

I am working on a binutils port. The target has program memory as both
ROM and RAM and all of the code which will run on the target will have
to be linked to its own at link time. There is no further load/run
time relocation. We need to burn the hand written assembly onto ROM
during fabrication and all the other compiled code should go into RAM.
Different applications which get compiled and mapped into RAM will
refer to the hand written assembly on the ROM.

How the linker should handle linking and memory mapping in this case?
Will generating two "absolute" images one for the assembly code to go
into ROM and other one for the compiled code to go into RAM work? The
linker will know the ROM locations and will fix the references to ROM
in the compiled code mapped into RAM.

Are there any other better approaches for this? And also where should
I map the data of hand written assembly, onto ROM or RAM?

Thanks in advance.

 - Ram