Re: how to get "the big picture" with nm, objdump, size for object size?

> Obviously, ar & ranlib slow down the most because of much debug stuff
> (44Mb vs. 10Mb). So, the "solution" is just to avoid intermediate static
> libraries (they are evil) and always feed object files directly to
> linker (even if one need to build several executables/shared_libs from
> the same sources - for developing, "cook" them directly from object files).
> ?I have the immediate effect as -6 sec to a build. :)

You could try thin archives (see the ar 'T' option). They let you
continue to use archive libraries as usual, with the link-time
behavior unchanged, without paying the price for copying the whole
object files into the archive.

-cary