Re: RFC: COMDAT group names become anonymouse local symbols

On 10/20/2010 11:05 AM, Cary Coutant wrote:

>>        .section        A,"axG",%progbits,B,comdat
>>        # Note that there is no definition of the symbol B.

>> On the other hand, perhaps GCC shouldn't generate code like this.

> If gcc were to generate the local symbol, it looks like gas will do
> the right thing and set the name of the SHT_GROUP section to ".group"
> with a link field pointing to the key symbol.

So, do you consider this a GCC bug?  Or a GAS bug?

I think we can fix the end-user C++ behavior in either way, but I guess
I feel like this is a GAS bug.  Why should someone writing assembly code
have to define "B"?  Telling the assembler that "B" is the signature of
the group seems like it should be enough.  What do you think?

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery