Re: Avoid link error with Solaris ld and local COMDAT group signature symbols (PR gas/12181)

> On 11/10/2010 4:50 AM, Rainer Orth wrote:
>
>> 2010-10-23  Mark Mitchell  <mark@codesourcery.com>
>
>> broke GCC mainline bootstrap on Solaris 11 with CVS gas and Sun ld.
>
> I've been insanely busy for the last couple of weeks, so I haven't been
> paying as close attention as I should have been.  I'm very sorry.

No problem.  I just wanted to make sure that we have some sort of
solution for binutils 2.21.

>> While the Solaris linker maintainers are willing to change ld,
>> unfortunately nobody cared to comment on their analysis in the PR.
>> Could someone (Mark?) please to so to get some progress on the Sun ld
>> side of things?
>
> I've now commented in the PR.

Thanks.  I'll pass that on; I'm confident this will be fixed in the
Solaris ld soon.

>> -	  symbol_get_obj (sy)->local = 1;
>> +	  symbol_get_bfdsym (sy)->flags |= BSF_OBJECT | BSF_GLOBAL;
>> +	  S_SET_OTHER (sy, STV_HIDDEN);
>
> FWIW, this seems like a hack to me.  I think the symbol really should be
> local; why expose it to other systems?  If we want to do this for
> Solaris ld compatibility (which I agree is a valid reason), I think we
> should do conditionally on Solaris.

Ok.  My reasoning for doing this in every case was that I wanted to
avoid target-specific code if we can do without.  I'll wrap the global
hidden change in #ifdef TE_SOLARIS with an appropriate comment (do we
list PRs in code comments for purposes like this?), retest and resubmit.

Thanks.
	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University