m68hc11 target / S12X / XGATE

(First post on the list)

I have been actively using the m68hc11/12 binutils target for a number
of years with gcc. Over the last few years I have extended the support
for that target to the S12X CPU derivative and added support for
assembling, disassembling and linking for the XGATE co-processor.
While these are two actual CPUs with different machine code I've made
them build as the same elf type so they can be linked and share symbols.
(This seems to work and there are hundreds of cars/bikes driving around
using the generated code.)

The "current" maintainer of the hc11 port Stephane Carrez appears to be
busy elsewhere and the last post I found in the archives here from him
or on hc11 was from over five years ago.

Ideally I would like to contribute my work back to the mainstream of
code, but need guidance first. I have done some searches on the
following, but not seen the answer - so pointers appreciated.

- what is the test process to satisfy that the code is good
- what authorisation process is used to validate my code changes?
- what "indent" commandline should I use on the C files I've altered ?
- anything else?

Until now I've been using a 2.18 derivative, so I presume a first step
would be to apply those changes to a CVS checkout and confirm it all
works locally.

regards

James