Re: PATCH: Add --size-check=[error|warning]

>>> Issue an error for bad ELF .size directive on Linux kernel bisect where
>>> the bad assembly codes aren't fixed.  This patch adds
>>> --size-check=[error|warning] so that we can issue a warning instead of
>>> an error.  OK to install?
>>
>> Please make it so that it'll be a warning by default, and an error
>> upon programmer request. Otherwise, for the very purpose of
>
> I disagree. It should be error by default since the input is bogus,
> Otherwise, those assembly bugs, benign or not, may not get
> fixed.
>
>> bisection, it won't help much as you would have to override
>> compiler/assembler flags during that process.
>>

> They can use a wrapper to pass --size-check=warning to
> assembler.  I think it is a small price to pay for those mistakes.

"Small" being relative here - it could be dozens if not hundreds of
people having to learn that this is necessary, many of them
possibly rather unfamiliar with gas and its command line options.

Also, using a wrapper gets further complicated by the fact that
you may have to pass an extra -B to the compiler (not everyone
has full control over the file system of all the machines used to
do development), making sure this doesn't have any other
unwanted side effects.

Jan