Re: PATCH: Add --size-check=[error|warning]

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 09:32:56AM -0700, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> On 03/14/2011 04:26 AM, Jan Beulich wrote:
> >
> > Making the kernel build system check for certain newly introduced
> > gas options would again require changes to the kernel sources,
> > which is precisely what is impossible to do for past kernel releases
> > (and bisection in particular).
> >

> But something like "make CC='gcc -Wa,--size-check=warning'" should work,
> I believe (tweaking may be required, but that's the idea).  Passing an
> option to the assembler is a helluva lot easier than redirecting to a
> different assembler.
>
> 	-hpa

Even if the above does work, how do we go about educating users doing
bisects with latest binutils? This is a very common practice among
kernel developers with users that hit bugs. And right now there's just a
handful of people that know of this work-around.

It will become a huge burden to us and our users (which is everyone
using Linux), if we do not understand the reason a build breaks when
doing a bisect, just because some "bug" in asm which binutils use to
work with now errors on.

If it was a bug in asm, but binutils can cope with it, then it should be
a warning. If binutils can't cope, then error.

-- Steve