Dollar local labels

Hello,

Re: gas from binutils-2.18.1~cvs20080103-0ubuntu1

When I attempt to use dollar local labels in gas, it consistently
issues errors.  Based on what I think is the manual for this version,
I believe that dollar locals ought to be supported.  As an example,
when I try to assemble the file:

55$:    cmpl    $0, %eax
        jmp     55$

The assembler issues the following messages:

test.s: Assembler messages:
test.s:1: Error: junk at end of line, first unrecognized character is `5'
test.s:2: Error: junk `$' after expression

Could somebody perhaps give me a hint as to what might be going on?
For example, are dollar locals a build-time option which might have
been disabled?  Or am I mistaken about the fact that this version
supports them?

Thank you very much for any suggestions,

Hannes.