Re: [Bug ld/12565] NOLOAD sections empty

On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 03:37:43PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi H.J., Hi Alan,
>
> I have been looking at PR 12565, and I have to say that I do not
> understand the linker's behaviour for NOLOAD sections on ELF based
> targets.  What is the point of having a section that cannot be
> loaded and that does not have any contents ?
>
> Also, as far as I can see, this behaviour is not documented
> anywhere. Do you know of any applications that rely upon this
> feature ?

I spent quite a lot of time wrestling with NOLOAD before
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2010-09/msg00245.html.  I believe we
have fairly strong historical precedent for the current behaviour on
ELF, ie. that NOLOAD makes a .bss style section, noload, alloc, no
contents.  As others have replied, people make use of it this way.
See also http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2010-10/msg00433.html

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM