msp430 binutils-2.21.1 make install error

Hi,

I am trying to build the latest binutils package for
which I downloaded the binutils-2.21.1a.tar.bz2 from
http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/binutils/
For the msp430 version I applied the patch found in
mspgcc-20110716.tar.bz2 downloaded from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mspgcc/files/mspgcc/mspgcc-20110716.tar.bz2/download

I followed the information in the readme's.
- extracted the contents of mspgcc-20110716.tar.bz2
- extracted the contents of binutils-2.21.1a.tar.bz2
- applied the patch as described in
  msp430-binutils-2.21.1-20110716.patch
- created a build dir in my homedir with mkdir -p build/binutils
- changed directory to build dir
- executed /media/data/pcsoftware/mspgcc/binutils-2.21.1/configure
  --target=msp430 --prefix=/opt/msp430 2>&1 | tee co
- executed make 2>&1 | tee mo
- executed make install 2>&1 | tee moi

The make command alone finished with no error's but
make install gives me grief :

roelofh@castle:~/build/binutils$ make install 2>&1 | tee moi
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/roelofh/build/binutils'
/bin/bash /media/data/pcsoftware/mspgcc/binutils-2.21.1/mkinstalldirs /opt/msp430 /opt/msp430
mkdir -p -- /opt/msp430 /opt/msp430
mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt/msp430': Permission denied
mkdir: cannot create directory `/opt/msp430': Permission denied
make[1]: *** [installdirs] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/roelofh/build/binutils'
make: *** [install] Error 2

Of course I did not run the command above with su or sudo, but :

roelofh@castle:~/build/binutils$ sudo make install 2>&1 | tee moi
[sudo] password for roelofh:
make: *** No rule to make target `configure', needed by `config.status'.
Stop.

or :

roelofh@castle:~/build/binutils$ su
Password:
root@castle:/home/roelofh/build/binutils# make install 2>&1 | tee moi
make: *** No rule to make target `configure', needed by `config.status'.
Stop.

My computer runs Debian Linux :

roelofh@castle:~/build/binutils$ uname -a
Linux castle 2.6.38.8 #1 SMP Wed 3 Aug 2011 23:15:23 CEST i686 GNU/Linux

If anybody has suggestions about this, it seems that something
is missing but I can not figured it out and could not find a
clue while searching various forum archives or with the help
of my good friend Google.

Roelof

roelofh@castle:~/build/binutils$ less co
checking target system type... msp430-unknown-none
checking whether ln works... yes
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking for a sed that does not truncate output... /bin/sed
checking for gawk... no
checking for mawk... mawk
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for g++... g++
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for gnatbind... no
checking for gnatmake... no
checking whether compiler driver understands Ada... no
checking how to compare bootstrapped objects... cmp --ignore-initial=16
$$f1 $$f2
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for version 0.10 (or later revision) of PPL... no
checking for default BUILD_CONFIG...
checking for bison... bison -y
checking for bison... bison
checking for gm4... no
checking for gnum4... no
checking for m4... m4
checking for flex... flex
checking for flex... flex
checking for makeinfo... makeinfo
checking for expect... no
checking for runtest... no
checking for ar... ar
checking for as... as
checking for dlltool... no
checking for ld... ld
checking for lipo... no
checking for nm... nm
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
checking for windres... no
checking for windmc... no
checking for objcopy... objcopy
checking for objdump... objdump
checking for msp430-cc... no
checking for msp430-gcc... no
checking for msp430-c++... no
checking for msp430-g++... no
checking for msp430-cxx... no
checking for msp430-gxx... no
checking for msp430-gcc... no
checking for msp430-gcj... no
checking for msp430-gfortran... no
checking for msp430-ar... no
checking for msp430-as... no
checking for msp430-dlltool... no
checking for msp430-ld... no
checking for msp430-lipo... no
checking for msp430-nm... no
checking for msp430-objdump... no
checking for msp430-ranlib... no
checking for msp430-strip... no
checking for msp430-windres... no
checking for msp430-windmc... no
checking where to find the target ar... just compiled
checking where to find the target as... just compiled
checking where to find the target cc... pre-installed
checking where to find the target c++... pre-installed
checking where to find the target c++ for libstdc++... pre-installed
checking where to find the target dlltool... just compiled
checking where to find the target gcc... pre-installed
checking where to find the target gcj... pre-installed
checking where to find the target gfortran... pre-installed
checking where to find the target ld... just compiled
checking where to find the target lipo... pre-installed
checking where to find the target nm... just compiled
checking where to find the target objdump... just compiled
checking where to find the target ranlib... just compiled
checking where to find the target strip... just compiled
checking where to find the target windres... just compiled
checking where to find the target windmc... just compiled
checking whether to enable maintainer-specific portions of Makefiles...
no
checking whether -fkeep-inline-functions is supported... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile