Supporting more than one CPU with the same gas port.

I have a general question when it comes to supporting more than one core with the same assembler(tc-x). I have seen gas support multiple variants of the same cores with within one assembler which makes good sense to me, but what about different CPUs all together? Is it common for one assembler to support more than one different programming model? It seems fundamentally wrong to try to support two different architectures using the same code base.

-sean