Re: Weird error cross-compiling glibc with binutils 2.22 or head

> I have no idea where that is coming from: it's not in any of the makefiles
> for binutils, glibc, or gcc, it's not in my host toolchain - and it
> doesn't happen on PPC.

Could it be part of the default linker script?
   $ ld --verbose  <linker_flags_but_no_filenames>  > default_script.lds
Look in default_script.lds.

If not in the default linker script, then apply the "biggest hammer":
   $ strace -f -o strace.out -e trace=open <<failing_command_and_args>>
Look at strace.out to see the complete list of files that were open()ed.
The text _must_ be in one of those files, so apply 'grep', etc.
Other arguments to strace might help, too.  See the manual page, particularly
"-s strsize -e trace=read".