TLS question

Hi
An extern variable is defined as an UND symbol in the elf file, however,
when it is classified with __thread, the linker needs to match it up
with the correct definition from another object file.
The way that I have implemented TLS support in my port of binutils, the
linker complains that the extern symbol is not TLS and it can not link
it to the definition from the other object file.

The only thing that I can think of is to teach ld to look at the
relocation for that symbol and if it is a TLS relocation, it should be
able to match the two, but I don't know how to teach ld to do so.

Question is: where in the linker I must modify?

Thanks
Ali